Characteristics of Lifelong PE
Lifelong PE (about 65% of men reporting PE) is a chronic condition, that may have been present from the first sexual experience, characterised by:
- onset from the first (or almost the first) sexual experience;
- persistence throughout life, and possibly worsening with age;
- ejaculation occurring too quickly (less than 1 minute in 90% of cases);
- ejaculation occurring too quickly on every (or almost every) occasion of sexual intercourse;
- ejaculation occurring too quickly with every (or almost every) partner.
Some men even ejaculate during the foreplay phase, before penetration or on first contact with the vagina (the so-called ejaculatio ante portas). 49% of men with PE say that they ejaculate before penetration at least occasionally.
- Broderick GA. J Sex Med 2006;3(4):295-302.
- EAU Guidelines on ED and PE 2012.
- Jannini EA et al. Sessuologia Medica. Trattato di psicosessuologia e medicina della sessualità. Elsevier Masson Ed. 2007.
- Jannini EA, Simonelli C, Lenzi A. J Endocrinol Invest 2002;25(11):1006-1019.
- McMahon CG, Jannini E, Waldinger M, Rowland D. J Sex Med 2013;10(1):204-229.
- Waldinger MD. Premature Ejaculation Definition and Drug Treatment. Drugs 2007;67 (4):547-568.